As we say our goodbyes to the winter season, now is the best time to give our deck the proper care it deserves with a high-quality deck coating.
Whether it’s your pool or your front porch, your deck has probably gone through a lot of abuse including snowstorms, harsh rains, and below-freezing temperatures.
For this reason, we have created a comprehensive list of the best deck coating materials available. All these products are affordable yet high-quality adhesives that will protect wooden objects such as a deck from deteriorating.
This is a short-term investment you should make because while it does take some work, the result is worth it.
Solid Reasons to Coat Your Deck
- Sun Protection. A deck coating will not only give your deck a lovely makeover, but it will also protect it from developing mold, being affected by the Sun’s UV rays, wearing out, and all kinds of damages caused by mother nature.
- Prolong Life of Wood. A deck coating’s primary purpose is to prolong and protect the wood decks around your home. If you don’t do this, you might have to rebuild your decks altogether, which is significantly costlier and time-consuming.
- Water Protection. Deck coatings last quite a long time because they won’t get damaged from rain. In fact, water-based deck coating strengthens after rain and protect the wood underneath for a longer time; this means minimal maintenance yet long-lasting results.
Top 10 Deck Coatings
|1. SEAL-ONCE MARINE 1 Gallon Penetrating Wood Sealer||Water-Based||$$$||4.6|
|2. Tall Earth ECO-Safe Wood Treatment||Water-Based||$$||4.4|
|3. Grace Vycor Deck Protector Self Adhered Flashing||Tape||$$||4.3|
|4. DeckWise Ipe Oil Hardwood Deck Finish||Oil-Based||$$$||4.3|
|5. Rust-Oleum 16003 3-Pound Jar Wolman Deckbrite Wood Cleaner and Coating Prep||Water-Based||$$$||4.1|
|6. Encore Coatings Cool Pool Deck Coating||Oil-Based||$||4.1|
|1. Vermont Natural Coatings PolyWhey Exterior Penetrating Stain||Water-Based||$$$||4.4|
|8. Rust-Oleum 00903 Woodlife Classic||Water-Based||$$||4.0|
|9. Encore Wood Deck & Concrete Resurfacer||Water-Based||$||3.7|
|10. Rust-Oleum 49504 Deck and Concrete with Tint Base||Water-Based||$$$$||1.7|
Important Information About Deck Coatings
- Most of the deck coating materials are water-based solutions; this means you can add a pigment in a color of your choice to give your deck a new look.
- Some deck coatings in addition to protecting and restoring your wood, provide additional features, like being non-slip and odorless.
- 90% of the time, even the best deck coating materials aren’t effective in just one coat. Make sure to apply at least two coats for the best results.
- Some deck coatings are oil-based, and some are water-based, so make sure you read the label before purchase to ensure that you have chosen the right product for your deck material.
- If you’re applying it for the first time, you can choose whatever base you prefer; however, if you’ve already applied it before, make sure you use the same base as before as applying oil on water, or vice versa will not work.
Top 3 Best Deck Coating Reviews
SEAL-ONCE is an incredible deck coating material. It is extremely easy to apply and gives outstanding results. It is water-based and non-toxic.
The biggest advantage of getting this product is that it has extremely low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds). This is good news especially for family members as this means the deck coating is safe to use around children and pets.
It has waterproofing capabilities, so your deck won’t take any damage from rain or snowfall. Also, this deck coating is non-toxic and odorless, making it extremely safe to use.
While this deck coating will last you a long time, after a few years, you will need to coat your deck again. Regarding this, cleaning this deck coating is a simple matter of using soap and water. After cleaning and recoating, your deck will be dry in just under an hour.
All of these great features make it the best deck coating solution and are recommended to apply on your porch, fence, or any outdoor wooden item for long-lasting protection.
Using his deck coating solution is one of the most reliable ways to protect your deck and other wood-based items. It is non-toxic, VOC-free and one-gallon cover nearly 150-200 square feet, and as a bonus, it gives the wood you apply on a silver or brownish finish, depending on what the wood color is.
The best thing about this deck coating and nearly all deck coatings, in general, is that you apply it one only time, and that’s the last time you’ll ever need to apply it. Yes! One coat and you’ll get a lifetime of protection.
This deck coating protects the wood from all kinds of harm, most notably heavy rains, harsh weather, UV rays from the Sun, and even molds.
This means this your one-time efforts will result in extremely heavy protection for all outdoor and indoor wood items such as decks, fences, benches, and furniture. All of these features will offer your deck the protection it needs throughout the year.
Do you want to prevent your deck from rotting and developing molds? Do you want to save yourself time and money by not having to repair your deck from environmental damages? If yes, then this deck protector is for you!
This is actually a peel-and-stick product that you apply to the framework of either wood or composite decks. It helps prevent the main deck boards from sitting on wet framing constantly, which will greatly reduce the chance of rot!
Coat your deck frame with this stuff, and you’ll be protected from all of Mother Nature’s harshest elements, including Sun’s UV rays, extreme rainfall and even rotting from humidity. This protection will make sure your deck or any other outdoor wooden items in general, like beams and fences, withstand the test of time.
What’s more is that this adhesive is skid-free, meaning there are fewer chances of a person slipping and falling. So, if you have a new deck or a deck that is in good form, you’ll want to protect it with this coating to make sure it becomes resistant to harmful outdoor conditions.
If you want your deck to last for years without any signs of rot or decay, a high-quality coat will help protect it from all sorts of environmental damage including harsh weather conditions like rain and snow as well as below-freezing temperatures.
We have compiled this list with our top choices in mind so that you can find one out there that fits your needs and budget. It’s time to get started on giving your wooden surfaces the protection they deserve!